Curriculum Information for Registration

Curriculum Information for Registration


What are AP Classes?

Advanced Placement (AP) classes are part of a national program run by CollegeBoard.  AP are classes are college-level courses requiring more reading and writing and are, therefore, more rigorous.  An exam for each AP course is given in May. Passing the exam may earn the student college credit (this is determined by the college the student attends).  There is a fee for the exams.

What are Honors Classes?

Honors classes are meant to prepare students for the rigor of AP courses.  Like AP they will move at a faster pace, require more reading and writing, and more homework. 

What is the difference between the Standard Diploma and the Advanced Diploma?

The advanced diploma requires more credits (26 total passed classes), including foreign language requirements (either three years in one language or two years of two different languages.

Does my child have to get the Advanced Diploma to get into college?

Not necessarily, but by taking the Advanced Diploma your child will meet the minimum requirements for many colleges.  All colleges have their own requirements which can be found on their individual websites.

Does my child have to take Advanced, Honors, or AP classes to earn an Advanced Diploma?

No, students can earn the Advanced Diploma without taking any advanced courses.

What does Dual Enrollment mean?

Students earn both high school credit and college credit. A student must complete two college classes to earn one high school credit (ex. English 111 and English 112 at CVCC combine together to earn one English high school credit). 

What is the process to take Dual Enrolled classes?

Each student should obtain paperwork from Mrs. Sawyer  (our Career Coach) and meet all deadlines.  There are fees for Dual Enrolled courses.